We are at Habitat for Humanity Jordan takes urgent actions to keep our beneficiaries healthy and foster a movement to create societies focused on well- being.
On the World Health Day, we -at HFH Jordan- like to share some of our practices to keep Our Planet & Our bodies Healthy so we can help in creating societal well-being with others…
- HFH Jordan raises beneficiaries’ awareness in terms of saving energy not only to reduce bills expenses, but also to reduce pollution and affect people’s health positively on the long run.
- HFH Jordan builds homes for local communities, rehabilitates substandard homes for refugees and vulnerable communities in Jordan, rehabilitates schools and local CBOs, bearing in mind:
- Following constructional solutions to get rid of moisture covering the walls of the house (this helps in preventing/ reducing some respiratory diseases such as the asthma).
- Installing main house-gates and new windows to prevent water leakage and cold wind entering homes (this helps in reducing seasonal illnesses such as flu).
- Looking for different constructional solutions to offer better home-ventilation (this prevents providing a favorable environment for insects and bacteria and relieves feeling of depression).
- Conducting referrals regarding health services to specialized NGOs.
- Substituting chalk boards with white boards when rehabilitating schools (this prevents some respiratory diseases).
- HFH Jordan implements a project aims to increase access to green and affordable housing, encourage adopting green principles, and strengthen climate resilience at a household level. HHFH Jordan Retrofits homes into green criteria using the following methodologies:
- Planting trees around homes.
- Encouraging water harvesting for everyday uses, such as drinking clean water, having shower, irrigating plants, and others).
- Insulating the walls of the house to obtain suitable temperatures in summer and winter and prevent moisture on the walls to happen.